Saturday, January 17, 2015

Communication is Key

One day last week, I knew right after feeding her that I needed to change Maddy's diaper. The hitch was that I was finishing up dinner and needed to add something to the pot and monitor it briefly. I told Maddy I'd be back in a little while to change her and asked her to play on her activity mat for a little bit. She did. Off I went to the kitchen.

After a few minutes, she made noises to get my attention and remind me she still needed that diaper change. Though she's only 5 1/2 months old, she prompts me from time to time if I can't get to it right away. I thanked her for reminding me and assured her I hadn't forgotten. :)

When she made her noises, I stopped what I was doing to tend to her. I had to get the changing pad situated, get the diaper and wipes out, etc. It didn't take long, only a few seconds, but when I laid her down to change her and pulled the diaper tabs, she let out a distressed whimper.

Immediately, I stopped what I was doing to look at her. I wanted to find out what was distressing her and I asked with a puzzled look, "You don't want me to change your diaper now?" and then asked, "Are you ok?" She kept gazing at me with the distressed look. That's when I decided to proceed slowly with changing her diaper. I leaned over to peak in the diaper and she was going. I closed the diaper in a flash. It was at that moment I realized she was warning me! She most certainly helped me avoid a mishap. 

Now you may understand why I claim that good communication is key to every relationship ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment